COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY CLUB OF LONDON PRIVACY NOTICE
The Columbia University Club of London (“CUCL” or “we) are dedicated to protecting your privacy and safeguarding your personal information.
This privacy notice describes:
- what personal information we collect from you;
- how we obtain your personal information;
- how we use your personal information;
- on what basis we use your personal information;
- how we share your personal information and with whom;
- the countries to which we transfer your personal information;
- how long we keep your personal information; and
- your rights regarding your personal information.
What personal data we collect from you?
The information we may collect from you includes:
- information establishing your identity (for example, name, address, phone number, date of birth, college affiliation, graduation data); and
- information establishing your interests with regards to CUCL activities.
How we obtain your personal data?
We may collect your information during the course of our relationship with you and will only use personal information in accordance with data protection law.
We may obtain this information from a variety of sources, including:
- from you (for example, when you register on the CUCL website, send emails or make donations or register for events to CUCL or otherwise provide us with your personal information);
- from Columbia University Office of Development and Alumni Relations;
- from Columbia Alumni Association; and
- from any user granted permissions from connected social media sources.
How we use your personal information?
We may use or process your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide you with information about our events and third party events that we think may be of interest to you;
- to personalise our events and services to you;
- to respond to any queries, requests or comments that you may have;
- to process your donations;
- to process your event payments;
- to manage membership; and
- to comply with legal obligations.
On what basis we use your personal information?
We use your personal information on the following basis:
- for legitimate interests purposes. Using your personal information helps us to operate, improve and minimise any disruption to the services that we may offer to you. We also have a legitimate interest in sending you information on the events and offerings we believe will be of interest to you;
- because you have given your consent (if we expressly ask for consent to process your personal information, for a specific purpose); and
- to comply with legal and regulatory obligations.
With whom do we share your personal information?
We will only disclose or transfer your personal information for the purposes set out in this notice to:
- the Columbia University Office of Development and Alumni Relations;
- the Columbia Alumni Association;
- to third parties who provide a service to us and who are compliant with applicable data protection laws; and
- any event partners for the purposes of registration and attendance.
The countries to which we transfer your personal information
We will only transfer your personal information outside the UK and the European Economic Area when sharing with the Columbia Alumni Association. We will implement appropriate measures to ensure that your personal information remains protected and secure when it is transferred outside your home country and you can exercise your rights effectively.
How long we keep your personal information
We will only retain your personal information for as long as you are a member of CUCL. If you are not a member or you no longer wish to be a member, we will keep your data only for as long as is necessary to respond to any queries or complaints, to demonstrate we that we have treated you fairly and to comply with any legal obligations to which we may be subject.
Subject to any overriding legal obligations, requirements and/or exemptions, you have the right to:
- be informed about the processing of your personal information and to receive a copy of that information;
- withdraw your consent to the use of your personal information (where we have asked you for consent);
- request the restriction of the processing of your personal information;
- ask us to correct personal information that we may hold about you which is inaccurate or complete your information where our records are incomplete;
- object to our processing of your personal information where it is based exclusively on our legitimate interests (see above) or for marketing purposes;
- request the deletion of personal information where it is no longer necessary for the purpose(s) for which your information was originally collected; and
- request the receipt or transmission of your personal information to another organisation, in a structured and machine-readable format (data portability).
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact the CUCL email@example.com.
If you feel that we do not comply with applicable data protection and privacy rules, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a competent data protection authority (for the UK, the Information Commissioner’s Office, at ico.org.uk).
If you have any questions about this notice or your personal information, feel free to get in touch with the CUCL firstname.lastname@example.org.
COLUMBIA ALUMNI ASSOCIATION PRIVACY NOTICE
Columbia University and Columbia Alumni Association have not, do not and will never sell alumni information to anyone. All alumni information is strictly guarded for use by alumni organizations recognized by the Office of Alumni and Development for University-related purposes only.
- For the Columbia Alumni Association's online community terms, click here.
- For NationBuilder's privacy terms, click here.
Please note that any information you submit to your alumni organization within this tool will be shared with Columbia University and may be used to best target communications or events. Individual alumni groups using this tool are expected to operate in compliance with any local or country laws. If you have any concerns about how your data is being shared, collected, or how you are communicated with, please contact the alumni leader of your organization or email the Office of Alumni and Development at email@example.com.